21 February 2022
For the past few years, CIM’s Environmental and Social Responsibility Society (ESRS) and Mineral Resources and Mineral Reserves (MRMR) Committee working group have been working to develop the Draft CIM Environmental, Social, and Governance Guidelines. This document will be part of the Industry Best Practice Guidelines suite of documents referenced by the Canadian Securities Administrators in the Companion Policy of National Instrument 43-101.
The working group has spent considerable effort preparing this document, which reflects the evolution of industry practices. It has drawn on the expertise of over 20 industry practitioners with various backgrounds and representation who have contributed to the discussion on environmental, social, and governance factors that should be considered for developing mineral resources and when converting mineral resources to mineral reserves.
The draft Environmental, Social, and Governance Guidelines were circulated to an initial group of industry practitioners and 13 responses were received and considered for this draft. The draft document is now available for industry comment.
Please submit your comments to ESRS and the MRMR Committee via the form below by Friday June 3, 2022.
How to submit detailed comments:
Comments via the spreadsheet are preferred to manage the large number of comments; however, if you are having significant challenges with the spreadsheet, please submit your comments via the General Comment box below or in the pdf version.
Please note that you need Microsoft Excel installed on your computer in order to proceed.
- Click on this link: Environmental, Social, and Governance Best Practice Guidelines.xlsx
- Go to File > Save As > Download to download a copy to your computer.
- Open the Excel file that has been saved to your computer.
- Each worksheet in the Excel file corresponds to a section of the document. Please ensure you click through all the worksheets.
- Each paragraph of the document has a number, which appears in Column A. This number corresponds to the paragraph number in the PDF version of document, which you can download below. The text of the document is in Column B. Please do not make any changes to Column B. Instead, enter your comments in Column C. Also note that space has been provided at the end of every worksheet for additional comments.
- When you are ready to submit your comments, please complete this online form and add the Excel file as an attachment.
Please view or download the draft document in PDF format to see the appendices and view the document in published form.