Capstone Mining Corp.
Capstone Mining Corp. is a Canadian base metals mining company, focused on copper. We are committed to the responsible development of our assets and the environments in which we operate. Our two producing mines are the Pinto Valley copper mine located in Arizona, US and the Cozamin polymetallic mine in Zacatecas State, Mexico. In addition, Capstone has the large scale 70% owned copper-iron Santo Domingo development project in Region III, Chile, in partnership with Korea Resources Corporation and a portfolio of exploration properties. Capstone's strategy is to focus on the optimization of operations and assets in politically stable, mining-friendly regions, centred in the Americas. Our headquarters are in Vancouver, Canada and we are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX).
As a Capstone Mining Corp. employee, you will become part of a supportive, performance-driven and dynamic environment. You will be given the opportunity to expand your knowledge and skill set working alongside dedicated employees from a variety of backgrounds and cultures. We place the highest priority on employee safety, protecting the environment and enhancing the development of the communities where we operate.
By joining the Capstone team, you will be become part of an inclusive team where you will be supported in your career growth through training, diverse opportunities and professional development.
Job Title: Director, Technical Services
Reporting to the Senior Vice President, Operations and Exploration, the Director, Technical Services is primarily responsible for coordinating tailings management and supporting the overall strategic direction and guidance to the technical support function across all Capstone sites. The Director, Technical Services will work in collaboration with the sites to ensure tailings operations are continuously improving by applying industry best practices and best available control technology. In addition, from time to time they may be asked to aid the business development team to undertake technical reviews during economic evaluation of potential acquisitions or to support the mines to evaluate innovation projects.
Position Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Support and coordinate the planning of tailings management activities across all mine sites.
- Chair the Tailings Management Working Group, an internal committee with representatives from all sites and from corporate office.
- Ensure the Companies’ tailings management practices comply with the Mineral Association of Canada (MAC) Guidelines and Manuals.
- Monitor and review the performance of tailings at each site, including identifying areas for process improvement and development.
- Provide recommendations, improvements and solutions to existing tailings processes.
- Partner with mine site personnel to develop and implement tailings plans and strategies, in addition to any other relevant process improvements.
- Prepare monthly and annual consolidated reports from all mine sites on the performance of tailings impoundments and new construction.
- Ensure all tailings operations comply to the environmental standards and regulations permitted at each site.
Operations Technical Support
- Provide oversight to mine operations to ensure they produce best practice strategic mine plans.
- Provide technical oversight or support for all engineering and technical services functions at existing mines and new development mines including: mine planning, scheduling, blast, pit and dump design, production scheduling, dewatering and geotechnical. Involves collaboration with Mine General Managers.
- Liaise with sites to seamlessly transition new projects to the operational phase.
- Collaborate with site management teams to integrate cost schedules for the Life of Mine Plan.
- Ensure that best practices are integrated into resource and reserve reconciliation and reporting.
- Maintain proactive and open communication with operational and corporate senior management teams, providing accurate technical data, as well as insightful interpretation of that data.
- Lead technology and innovation initiatives with an emphasis on capturing opportunities at operating mine sites.
- Provide technical services support to evaluations for business development initiatives.
- Embed a culture of continuous improvement regarding health, safety, operational efficiency and cost management.
- Collaborate with a team of mining specialists to work on technical and operational development/improvement studies and projects.
- Manage or review projects studies to support current operations or new projects.
- Seek and investigate technologies/systems that can improve our operations in the future.
- Any other projects/work that may arise from time to time as required by the role and/or at the request of the SVP, Operations & Exploration.
- Experience in presenting to a Corporate Board of Directors is an asset.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Bachelor’s degree in geotechnical, civil or mining engineering.
- Registration and a Professional Engineer (PE) in Arizona or ability to acquire PE within 12 months of date of hire.
- Over 8 years of geotechnical and/or civil engineering experience in the mining industry with a proven track record in tailings management.
- Prior experience working in a multicultural environment.
- Strong technical skills and understanding of tailings facilities and resource and reserve estimation.
- Ability to rapidly acquire subject matter expertise in regulations related to the management of tailings facilities, including the Canadian Dam Association (CDA) and Mining association of Canada (MAC) guidelines and USSD and ICOLD.
Key Competencies / Skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively with cross-functional teams.
- Ability to maintain and nurture strong relationships.
- Strong problem-solving and project management skills.
- Strategic outlook regarding continuous improvement of processes.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Fluency in Spanish is an asset.
Position location is negotiable but frequent travel between the US, Canada, Mexico and Chile is required.
To apply, send your cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com. Please include Director, Technical Services - Vancouver in the subject line of your e-mail response.