À propos de nous
The vision of the CIM Health and Safety Society (HSS) is that CIM will serve as a national center to support and promote mining health and safety excellence, benefitting all Canadian mining professionals. The HSS’s mission is the provision of Canadian leadership in mining safety expertise and providing a repository for the related best practices reference material. The HSS Committee supports the Canadian mining industry global leadership, with the goal of Zero Harm to people (no lives lost, no lives changed).
The over-arching purpose of the Society is three-fold;
- To contribute to the improvement of the health and wellbeing of the mining, processing and mineral industry workforce in Canada and abroad.
- To be the organization of choice for the mining community for personal and professional development and industry knowledge sharing of best practices relating to health, safety, and risk awareness of the mining and mineral extraction industry.
- To collaborate and work with other CIM Societies to achieve the goal of Zero Harm.
In this context and wherever mentioned in this charter, “health” refers to one’s physical wellbeing as well as mental health and wellness. Risk awareness and risk management refers to health, safety, and wellness in addition to the risk management skills within the safety community. Risk management is an overarching focus in the industry, with applications and benefits in all other areas of the business beyond the HSS focus on people and the Zero Harm goal.
It is recognized that health, safety and risk management are key to sustainability within our industry and an important part of most technical societies of CIM. The intention of the HSS is to support the various societies in their efforts to promote health and safety and to provide a platform to collaborate with other organizations outside CIM to further develop the health, safety and risk management expertise within the Canadian mining industry. In that regard HSS will support other societies and collaboration is a key part of the Society’s mandate.
The objectives of the Society are to:
- To contribute to the improvement of the health, safety and wellbeing of the mining, processing and mineral industry workforce in Canada and abroad
- Promote and disseminate best practices in health, safety and risk management;
- Facilitate the exchange of knowledge and provide fellowship for the global mining community through organization of events and other knowledge sharing opportunities;
- To liaise with academia to promote safety, health and risk awareness and provide mentoring and knowledge resources for current and future industry leadership;
- Improve the global relevance and presence of CIM in the health, safety and risk management aspects of mining and mineral extraction;
- Advise CIM Council relating to health, safety and risk management issues affecting the mining industry;
- Inspire, encourage and coordinate health and safety activities within CIM and its Societies; and
- Encourage increased membership and participation in overall CIM