1. Persons shall be selected as CIM Distinguished Lecturers on the basis of their distinguished service and accomplishments in scientific, technical or administrative activities related to the minerals industries.
2. Not more than eight (8) Distinguished Lecturers shall be selected in any Council year.
3. Nominations for the honour of CIM Distinguished Lecturer shall be made over the signatures of at least ten (10) CIM national members and forwarded to the Executive Director of the Institute by the executive of each of the Technical Societies/Committees of the Institute or CIM's District Vice Presidents, by December 1st of the year prior to the presentation of the award.
4. Each nomination shall be accompanied by a statement supporting the nomination.
5. The nominations shall be submitted to a special CIM Distinguished Lecturers Selection Committee under the chairmanship of the CIM President-Elect and consisting of four other members appointed by CIM Council.
6. The Committee shall select the recipients, confirm their willingness to accept the honour and dedicate their time to give the Lectures, and inform the CIM Executive Director prior to the last meeting of Council preceding the Annual General Meeting of the Institute.
7. The CIM Distinguished Lecturers shall be honoured at the Annual General Meeting and shall be presented with a certificate.
8. The CIM Distinguished Lecturers are expected to give their Lectures before appropriate Branches of the Institute and at any Annual Meeting of the appropriate Society/Division.
9. In the case where the Distinguished Lecturer’s employer or the nominating body is unable to cover the expenses for a Lecture, CIM National will cover the cost of air travel while the Branches will cover local expenses (accommodation, transportation, etc.)
10. All nominations properly presented shall remain in good standing for a period of three (3) years unless formally withdrawn over the signatures of a majority of members responsible for the nomination, or withdrawn by the nominee.
11. Nominees should be CIM National Members.