Over 100 years of service
CIM was formed only 31 years after Canada was founded. The Institute was incorporated in 1898 by an Act of the Parliament of Canada as the Canadian Mining Institute. In 1920, it became the Canadian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, and in 1990, the Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum.
CIM was the result of individuals in the mining industry seeking a vehicle for lobbying for safety laws and workers' protection, as well as a method of ensuring the communication of ideas. Led by a very capable group of dedicated members, CIM soon came to attract new members from all across Canada.
In 1998, CIM celebrated its centennial, looking back over the past 100 years and recognizing its success. CIM has grown from a small association to Canada's leading professional association for the minerals related industries, with technical Societies and over 30 local Branches across Canada and one overseas.
CIM Historical Highlights