Cement Manufacture in Saskatchewan
ASHORTAGE of cement in the Prairie Provinces, together with an aggressive policy on the part of the Saskatchewan Government in bringing new industries to the province, combined to create a favourable set of conditions for the establishment of Saskatchewan's first cement plant on the outskirts of Regina. Built by Saskatchewan Cement Corporation Limited, this single-kiln plant, tl1e latest addition to cement producers on the Prairies, began operations in the Fall of 1956. Location of the plant followed the trend of building cement manufacturing facilities in market areas rather than at raw material sources. In 1957, all assets of the Corporation were taken over by Inland Cement Company Limited and the plant and quarry now operate as Saskatchewan Cement Company, an Inland division.