Syncrude Award for Excellence in Sustainable Development
1. The award shall be made to an individual, community, organization, corporation, or academic, not necessarily a CIM national member, and whose contribution:
- adds value to the minerals industry's sustainable management practices;
- has an effect on a number of corporations and organizations in more than one isolated circumstance;
features people or tangible qualities that the public can relate to;
- has a positive impact in one or more area of the three pillars of sustainability: environment, economy, and social;
2. The award may be presented from time to time as circumstances warrant, but normally, not more than one award may be made in any given year. In the event of extraordinary nominations, consideration may be given for more than one award.
3. All nominations must be accompanied by a complete description of the meritorious contribution and its value to the minerals and petroleum industry as well as its potential impact on the vision of sustainability in all resource sectors.
4. The CIM executive director shall refer each nomination to the Institute Honours Committee.
5. The Committee's selection shall be reported to CIM Council no later than the last Council meeting held prior to the annual CIM Conference & Exhibition at which the presentation is expected to be made.
6. The members of the Institute Honours Committee shall not be party to the nomination of any candidate.
7. The award shall be presented by the sponsor at the annual CIM Conference & Exhibition. In the event that the sponsor is not available the award shall be presented by the current CIM president.
8. All nominations properly presented, and not selected as award recipients for that particular year, shall be carried forward for the next two years unless formally withdrawn over the signatures of a majority of members responsible for the nomination.