District Proficiency Medals
1. The District Proficiency Medals are to be available for presentation within the membership of the Institute, in each of the six geographical Districts described in the Institute By-Laws, in recognition of significant technical, professional or managerial contributions to the mineral industry as a whole, or to that managerial, mining, metallurgical, geological or petroleum production problem with which the candidate is immediately concerned.
2. The awards are to be available for presentation yearly, or as conditions warrant.
3. All nominations for these medals shall be made over the signatures of not fewer than ten (10) CIM National Members, not more than two (2) of whom should be directly associated with, or working for, the same employer as the candidate. The nominations should be forwarded to the District Awards Committee not later than January 15th of each year. It is recommended that serious consideration be given to the contribution of the younger members of the Institute in selection of the candidates for the award.
4. Each nomination shall be accompanied by a description of the meritorious contribution.
5. The Awards Committee in each District shall be chaired by the District Vice-President and include four Branch representatives from the District as members.
6. The recommendations of the District Awards Committees should be sent to CIM National Office not later than January 31st of any year for consideration and approval of CIM Council.
7. No member of the District Awards Committee shall be party to the nomination of any candidate.
8. The Award shall be presented at the official District Annual Meeting, or at some especially arranged official ceremony in the District.
9. All nominations properly presented shall remain in good standing for a period of three (3) years unless formally withdrawn over the signatures of a majority of members responsible for the nomination.
10. Nominees must be CIM Members, but not necessarily CIM National Members.