1. Candidates shall have a minimum of ten (10) years of current, continuous CIM National membership. The following criteria shall be considered in the selection of CIM Fellows:
- Contributions to CIM.
- Contributions to the mining, metallurgical and petroleum industry.
- Contributions to society and mankind.
- Contributions to education.
- Special distinction (awards, honours previously received).
- Other significant contributions.
2. The award shall be presented annually, and there may be more than one recipient.
3. Nominations for the award shall be made over the signatures of at least ten (10) CIM national members and forwarded to the Executive Director of the Institute by December 1st of the year prior to the presentation of the award.
4, A citation not to exceed 15 words shall appear on the Nomination Form.
5. Completed nominations shall be forwarded to the appropriate technical Societies/Divisions where a Fellowship Committee, consisting of at least five (5) people, shall review the nomination and make recommendations to the CIM Fellowship Award Committee.
6. The CIM Fellowship Award Committee, chaired by the President-Elect and consisting of the Chairmen/Presidents of each Division/Society, shall review only nominations submitted on the official Nomination Form. Nominations will be submitted to CIM Council at a regular meeting for approval.
7. The members of the CIM Fellowship Award Committee shall not be party to the nomination of any candidate.
8. When reasonably possible, the recipients shall be expected to receive the award in person during the course of the CIM Conference & Exhibiton following the announcement of the award, or at an appropriate Society, Division, District or Branch meeting.
9. All nominations properly presented shall remain in good standing for a period of three years unless formally withdrawn over the signatures of a majority of members responsible for the nomination.
10. Nominees must be CIM National Members.
11. No posthumous Fellow nominations shall be considered.
12. Fellow membership for any individual shall not remain in effect unless his/her membership is in force.