Product stewardship at Dofasco: A discussion paper
Dofasco began operations in 1912 as a steel foundry located in Hamilton, Ontario. Today, Dofasco is a fully integrated mill that manufactures hot rolled, cold rolled, galvanized and tinplate steels. Customers include the automotive, construction, tubular, manufacturing, appliance, packaging and steel service centre industries. Raw steel production and purchased semi-finished steel processed in 1994 was 3.5 million net tonnes. Dofasco employs 7300 people at its Hamilton facility. Environmental management at Dofasco is guided by its environment policy and associated commitments. This paper discusses Dofasco’s responsibility for its products as it relates to these commitments. Dofasco is committed to:
- the principles of sustainable development that require that activities be conducted in a manner that provides for the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs. These principles will be integrated into product design, manufacturing and business planning;
- managing renewable and non-renewable resources through the responsible application of reduce, reuse, and recycle principles;
- minimizing any potential impact of its operations and products on the environment, employees, customers and the community;
- continuous improvement of the effectiveness and integrity of our environmental management systems;
- developing understanding among all employees about their responsibilities, and assigning the necessary authority; and
- meeting the standards set by relevant legislation and international agreements through participation with governments and the diligent application of economically feasible and scientifically sound methods and technologies.
Dofasco, Environmental management, Product stewardship.