The Caland Dredging Project

Caland Ore Company Limited, a subsidiary of Inland Steel Company of Chicago, Illinois, leased an iron ore deposit from Steep Rock Iron Mines Limited on January 1, 1953. This deposit lay underneath a lake and was covered with 161,000,000 cubic yards of Jake bottom material, mainly silt. Removal of this material was done on a contract dredging basis. This contract was divided into a plant phase and an operating phase. The plant phase consisted of supplying two cutter-type suction dredges, each with two booster pumps in the discharge lines. All six pumps were centrifugal, had 36" discharges and were powered by 10,000 horsepower electric motors. Peak demand was 59,157 kilowatts. One hundred and forty miles of steel tower line were built to bring power to the site. The balance of the plant consisted of tugs, 12 miles of discharge line, varying from 36" diameter to 42" diameter and attendant land-based equipment. A number of interesting dams were constructed to facilitate the project. The operating phase consisted of removing the silt. Removal started in April, 1955 and finished September 30, 1960. Removal of the lake bottom material resulted in the lake being lowered from elevation 1120 to 651. Serving as a disposal basin was Marmion Lake, some four miles distant. Maximum static head between this lake and the dredge pool was 777 feet. In 1960, 765,000 tons of iron ore were shipped to the parent company's steel furnaces at Gary, Indiana. This schedule gradually builds up to 3,- 000,000 tons a year by 1969
Keywords: Chicago, Illinois, cubic yard, dredge, iron ore, Silt Slopes, Materials, Ore, Ores, Phase, Plants, Projects, Pump, Water, Waters
Full Access to Technical Paper
PDF version for $20.00