Clayburn-Harbison Limited Operations in British Columbia

About 1905, a plant was constructed at C1ayburn, in the Lower Fraser valley, 4'5 miles east of Vancouver, to process shales from Sumas mountain into heavy clay products. In time, mining operations were found to be more favourable on the opposite side of the mountain, and by 1913 a plant, which soon became the centre of activities, was completed at Kilgard. Destroyed by fire in 1949, the plant was rebuilt on modern lines, and a second plant was established at Abbotsford, six miles to the west. The Company, from its beginning, has grown with development of the Province. In recent years, operations have kept abreast of latest developments, particularly in materials handling. Latest innovation has been the complete conversion of fuel from Bunker C oil to natural gas. In 1957 the Company became associated with Harbison Walker Refractories, Limited, a leader in its field in the United States, and its title was changed from Clayburn Company, Limited, to Clayburn-Harbison, Limited. Currently, the Kilgard plant produces sewer pipe, agricultural tile, and flue liner; the Abbotsford plant, refractories and facebrick. Improvement of products and development of new ones are tasks of a recentlycompleted testing and research laboratory. Almost all ware produced is marketed in Western Canada or Washington State. The Vancouver area absorbs the bulk of structural clay products
Keywords: Abbotsford, refractories, shales, Sumas Mountain, Sumas Prairie, Bricks, Clay, Clays, Limited, Operation, Plants, Refractories, Shale, Shales, Vancouver
Full Access to Technical Paper
PDF version for $20.00