Dewatering an Abandoned Colliery
Dominion No. 17 Colliery, of the Dominion Coal Company, Limited, is located in the district of New Victoria, N .S., at the entrance to Sydney harbour. This Colliery was opened in 1882 to work a submarine area of the Harbour seam (see Figure 1). It was closed in 1921 and the mine, which has a make of water of proximately 250 gallons per minute, was allowed to fill. No. 18 Colliery, situated almost a mile to the east, was opened in 1938 to work the Phalen seam in this area with the intention, later of driving a cross-measure tunnel to mine the section of the Harbour seam lying between No. 17 Colliery and the Princess Colliery of the Nova Scotia Steel and Coal Company, Limited.
10 feet, borehole, grouted, Springhill, static pressure, Bits, Boreholes, Coal, Drill, Drilling, Drills, Pipe, Pressure, Water, Waters