A Warning Concerning the Use of Carbon Tetrachloride in the Coal Industry
TWO summers ago I had the privilege of visiting No. 18 colliery at Glace Bay. Underground, we travelled along the haulage-way behind a powerful electric locomotive. The motor in this locomotive began to smoke badly and a carbon tetrachloride type of extinguisher was used several times during the trip. At the time, I noted a strong odour of phosgene. On my return to Sydney, I spoke to Mr. Harold Gordon, Assistant to the General Manager of the Dominion Steel and Coal Corporation, and warned him of the danger of using this type of fire extinguisher in confined spaces, since it is a well known chemical fact that phosgene, a dangerously toxic gas, is formed by the decomposition of carbon tetrachloride.
Air, Carbon, carbon tetrachloride, Chemical Fire Extinguisher Association, gas chamber, hydrogen chloride, phosgene, experiment, Experiments, Fires, Mine, Mines, mining