|Hatch senior advisor Chris Twigge-Molecey, who received the CIM Distinguished Service Medal, was one of many honoured at the CIM awards gala.
Excellence in mining deserves recognition, and on May 2 industry leaders gathered to celebrate the achievements of their peers at the annual CIM Awards Gala, sponsored by Caterpillar and its Canadian dealers. Here are this year’s award winners:
CIM FELLOWSHIP CIM Fellowships are handed out for outstanding continuous contributions to the mining, metallurgical and petroleum industries.
- Peter Edmunds, Daniel M. Gagnon, Louis Gignac, Robert Henderson, Eric Hinton, Georges Kipouros, Bruce Knight, Matthias Militzer, Patty Moore, Sergei A. Shipilov, Michael Sopko, Sean Waller
CIM DISTINGUISHED LECTURERS These individuals are chosen on the basis of their accomplishments in scientific, technical, management or educational activities related to the minerals industry. The recipients present their lectures at CIM branch and student chapter meetings across the country.
- Hani Henein, professor in the Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering at the University of Alberta. Lecture: Advanced microalloyed steels for sustainable pipelines.
- Daniel Marshall, professor of economic geology and geochemistry at Simon Fraser University’s Earth Sciences Department. Lecture: A new model for native-metal enrichments comparing natural samples with experimental and in-situ melting studies.
- Lawrence Devon Smith, principal consultant at Lawrence Devon Smith & Associates. Lecture: Discount rates and risk in long life projects.
- Patrick Stephenson, director and principal geologist at AMC Mining Consultants Canada. Lecture: Mineral Resources, Mineral Reserves or pie in the sky?
- Dirk van Zyl, professor and chair of Mining and the Environment at the University of British Columbia. Lecture: Tailings risk management.
CIM DISTINGUISHED SERVICE MEDAL This medal is awarded to an individual for exceptional service to the Institute and industry.
- Chris Twigge-Molecey is a Senior Advisor at Hatch Ltd., a consulting engineering, project and construction management company, where he has worked for 43 years. He has held a wide range of both technical and management positions.
VALE MEDAL FOR MERITORIOUS CONTRIBUTIONS TO MINING This medal is presented to an individual for his or her distinctive contributions to the mining and metallurgical industry.
- Graham Clow is Chairman and Principal Mining Engineer of RPA Inc. He is a senior mining executive with more than 42 years of experience, with particular emphasis on mineral resources and reserves and economic assessments of projects and operations worldwide.
A.O. DUFRESNE EXPLORATION ACHIEVEMENT This award is given in recognition of exceptional achievement or distinguished contribution to mining exploration in Canada.
- Robert A. Quartermain is the Chairman and CEO of Pretium Resources Ltd. He has over 40 years of experience with geology, exploration and development. He was previously the president of Silver Standard Resource Inc. from 1985 to 2010.
CIM PRESIDENTS’ ROLE MODEL MEDAL This medal is presented to recognize an individual who has set an outstanding example for others and achieved early-career accomplishments as a role model within CIM.
- Fenna Poelzer is currently the chief estimator for Abalone Construction, working mainly in Alberta’s oil sands and related development. Her role includes detailed analytics of equipment productions, front-end job planning, labour relations acumen and marketing.
SYNCRUDE AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT This award is presented to companies or individuals for demonstrating excellence in sustainable development.
- David T. Lynch was previously the dean of engineering at the University of Alberta from 1994 to 2015. Dr. Lynch led the establishment of major initiatives including the National Institute for Nanotechnology, the Imperial Oil Institute for Oil Sands Innovation, and the Canadian Centre for Clean Coal/Carbon and Mineral Processing Technologies.
BARLOW MEDAL FOR BEST GEOLOGICAL PAPER This medal is awarded to the best geological paper published in CIM publications during the preceding year
- Michel Proulx is currently the president at Géo-Consilium, a position he has held since 1995. He has a master’s degree in geochemistry and has previously worked with the Ministry of Natural Resources of Quebec.
CIM DISTRICT DISTINGUISHED SERVICE AWARDS Every year the Western, Central and Eastern districts recognize one of their own for significant contribution to the mineral industry and CIM.
- Central District: Mohammed Ali, regional director for the environmental services at Hatch
- Western District: John D. Cairns, senior mining engineer at WorleyParsons
- Eastern District: Ian Turner, mining engineer at Sitec Quartz Inc.
MEL W. BARTLEY OUTSTANDING BRANCH AWARD This award is given to the CIM branch demonstrating the most progress in reaching the aims and objectives of the Institute.
CIM COMMUNITY SERVICE AWARD This award recognizes a CIM member who has fully given his or her time and devotion to several aspects of community service and support in the minerals industry.
- Oliver Koski was previously a project manager at the Centre for Excellence in Mining Innovation. He has been a member of CIM Sudbury branch since the 1970s, and for over ten years has contributed to the branch as a director.
ROBERT ELVER MINERAL ECONOMICS AWARD This award is presented to a member of the Institute who made significant contribution in mineral economics over the course of the previous year.
- William H. McNeil was the senior mining engineer for Scotiabank up to his retirement in January 2016. He has been active in the mining industry for over 40 years with Falconbridge Nickel Mines Limited, Amax Inc., Strathcona Mineral Services Limited and Scotiabank.
CIM-BEDFORD CANADIAN YOUNG MINING LEADERS AWARD These awards celebrate the bright future of leadership in the mining industry by recognizing the exceptional achievement and potential of young Canadian leaders.
- Anne Gent, senior environmental scientist at Cameco Corporation
- Dominique Girard, vice-president, Nunavut operations at Agnico-Eagle
- Andrew Randell, principal geologist at Strata GeoData Services
- David Stein, CEO of Aberdeen International
HATCH-CIM MINING & MINERALS PROJECT DEVELOPMENT SAFETY AWARD This award assesses each of the candidates’ safety performances in their respective projects and recognizes the team(s) that best meet or exceed the criteria.
- Cameco Corporation – McArthur River Electrical Substation Project
- Glencore Corporation – Process Gas Project
J.C. SPROULE AWARD This award is given for distinguished contributions to the exploration and development of Canada’s mineral resources in the northern regions.
- James Mortensen is a professor at the University of British Columbia. He has over 40 years of field experience focused on regional tectonic and metallogenic studies, which have focused mainly in the northern Cordillera and the Canadian Shield, as well as Spain, Portugal, New Zealand, Australia, China, Mexico, and Tibet.
SELWYN BLAYLOCK MEDAL This award is given to an individual for distinguished service to Canada through exceptional achievement in the field of mining, metallurgy or geology.
- Chuck Jeannes was the CEO and president of Goldcorp from 2009 to 2016. Before that he served as the executive vice president of corporate development at Goldcorp.
JOHN T. RYAN TROPHIES These trophies are awarded to mines that experience the lowest reportable injury frequency per 200,000 hours worked in each category. The respective categories include national trophies for coal, metal and select mines, and regional trophies for four different metal mine regions and two select mine regions.
- Cameco Corporation – McArthur River Mine (Metals)
- Rambler Metals and Mining Canada Ltd. – Ming Mine (Metals)
- North American Construction Group – Kearl Lake Mine Site (Select)
- Mosaic Potash Esterhazy Limited – K1 Mine (Select)
- De Beers Canada – Victor Mine (Select)
- PotashCorp – New Brunswick Division (Select)
- Vale – Voisey’s Bay Mine (Select)
- Teck Coal Limited – Greenhills Operations (Coal)
- Goldcorp – Éléonore Mine
- Glencore – Kidd Operations
- Claude Resources Inc. – Seabee Mine
- New Gold Inc. – New Afton Mine
- Syncrude Canada Ltd. – Mildred Lake & Aurora Mines
- Tata Steel Minerals Canada – DSO Project
MCPARLAND MEMORIAL AWARD This award is granted for outstanding performance in the minerals industry.
- Allan Akerman is the President of Akerman Consultants Inc., which focuses on large R&D projects. He is also a director at CAMIRO. He has 35 years of experience in the mining industry.
JULIAN BOLDY GEOLOGICAL SOCIETY SERVICE AWARD This award recognizes an individual’s exceptional service to the Geological Society of CIM.
- Damien Duff is the vice-president of geoscience and geotechnical R&D at the Centre for Excellence in Mining Innovation.
MINING ENGINEERING OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT AWARD This award, previously the Underground Mining Society Award, was established to recognize outstanding achievement or contribution in the field of mining engineering.
- Eric Hinton works in mining services at Boge & Boge, and has over 25 years of mining experience in Canada, the United States of America, Ghana and Zimbabwe, which involves operations engineering, feasibility studies and mining research in cutting edge technologies.
TOWARDS SUSTAINABLE MINING (TSM) AWARDS The TSM Awards acknowledge companies, facilities and individuals that have implemented projects and initiatives to expand and promote sustainable development within the mining sector. The two categories for this award are environmental excellence and community engagement.
- Environmental Excellence: Raglan Mine, Glencore
- Community Engagement: Kidd Operations, Glencore