Historical Highlights

Year Highlight

1887

  • The Gold Miners Club of Nova Scotia was founded in Halifax as a somewhat informal club interested in gold mining.

1888

  • The Gold Miners Association of Nova Scotia was formed as a reorganization of the Gold Miners Club.

1891

  • The General Mining Association of the Province of Quebec was organized in Montreal.

1892

  • The Mining Society of Nova Scotia was formed as a reorganization of the Gold Miners Association of Nova Scotia.

1894

  • The Ontario Mining Institute was organized in Toronto.

1895

  • The British Columbia Association of Mining Engineers was organized.

1896

  • The Federated Canadian Mining Institute was organized by the Mining Institute affiliation of all provincial groups.

1898

  • The Canadian Mining Institute was founded in Montreal in March at the second annual meeting of the Federated Canadian Mining Institute, which was dissolved. The Institute was incorporated in March 1898 by Act of Parliament to include all former provincial groups except The Mining Society of Nova Scotia, which remained a separate body.

1902

  • The Institute, which was originally only three provincial groups - Quebec, Ontario and British Columbia - formed its first Branches in Sherbrooke, Quebec; Kingston, Ontario, and; Nelson, British Columbia.

1918

  • The Mining Society of Nova Scotia was formally affiliated with the Canadian Mining Institute.

1920

  • The Canadian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy became the official name of the Institute by Act of Parliament.

1934

  • The Institute formed the Industrial Minerals Section as the first specialized group.

1940

  • The Institute changed the name of the Industrial Minerals Section to Industrial Minerals Division.

1942

  • The Institute's official abbreviation became CIM.

1944

  • CIM formed the Coal Division.

1945

  • CIM formed the Metallurgy Division and the Geology Division.

1946

  • CIM formed the Metal Mining Division.

1949

  • CIM formed the Petroleum and Natural Gas Division.

1961

  • CIM formed the Mechanical-Electrical Division.

1965

  • The Petroleum and Natural Gas Division was renamed the Petroleum Society of CIM.

1967

  • Metallurgy Division renamed the Metallurgical Society of CIM.

1984

  • The Canadian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy becomes the official name of the Institute by an Act of Parliament.
  • Mechanical Electrical Division renamed the Maintenance/Engineer Division.

1990

  • Geology Division renamed The Geological Society of CIM.

1990

  • Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum became the official name of the Institute by Act of Parliament.

1992

  • Mineral Economics Committee became the Mineral Economics Society of CIM.

1998

  • CIM Centennial Year.
  • The Institute formed the Environmental Society.

1999

  • Petroleum Society of CIM's 50th Anniversary.
  • Coal Division renamed the Coal and Oil Sands Division.

2000

  • CIM holds its Annual General Meeting (now known as the CIM Conference & Exhibition) and Tradex in collaboration with the Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada (PDAC), under the name "Mining Millennium 2000." It is the largest meeting held in recent years.
  • CIM Council approved the revised version of the CIM Standards on Mineral Resources and Reserves - Definitions and Guidelines, which were incorporated by reference into the new National Instrument 43-101 (NI 43-101). 

2001

  • CIM held its Annual General Meeting and Tradex in collaboration with the Canadian Space Agency under the theme of "Mine Space 2001" Quebec.
  • CIM's Definition Standards is officially recognized as a reference by The Canadian Securities Administrators.
  • CIM forms the Environmental Society.

2003

  • CIM holds the "Mining in the Arctic" conference in Nunavut.
  • CIM welcomes a new Executive Director on the Board, Jean Vavrek, and reorganizes its staff and department heads.
  • CIM holds a conference in collaboration with the World Gold Council in Vancouver. 

2005

  • CIM holds its first "Mining in Society" show in Toronto (now known as M4S).

2008

  • CIM forms the Oil Sands Society.
  • CIM celebrates its 110th anniversary and Tradex’s 25th anniversary. 

2009

  • The CIM Petroleum Society merges with the Society of Petroleum Engineers.
  • The Institute holds it first small-scale “Mining in Society” conference in St John’s, Newfoundland.
  • The CIM Bylaws are revised.
  • The Institute forms the Centre for Excellence in Corporate Social Responsibility. 

2010

  • The Institute expands and moves to a new head office in Montreal.
  • The Institute holds its first joint Conference, China Mining Finance & Capital Markets, with partners in Beijing.